Newcastle has always been a region that is proud of its people, a town that supports and recognises those that do “good” for others less fortunate in our community. Do you know an unsung hero that commits their time, and care to those in need? Well, we want to know who they are!
Throughout the 2017/18 Hyundai A-League season, the Newcastle Jets will recognise 14 unsung heroes in our community who give their time to a charity, sporting club or not-for-profit organisation. At each Jets home game, one local hero will be selected, celebrated and honoured and begin a unique relationship with the club.
Our local heroes will be selected by a panel of Newcastle Jets staff and three player ambassadors; Nigel Boogaard, Nikolai Topor-Stanley and Daniel Georgievski.
These players have been selected based on their ability to connect with the community and will take ownership of being a local hero both on and off the field, flying the flag and demonstrating the club’s core values.
These selected players will not only choose their preferred local hero, but they will also have a close relationship with them and their work. Each player will donate their time and services just like any other volunteer would, over the season and possibly beyond, in the hopes to create a lasting legacy for not only the club, but the players themselves.
Our home game heroes will be honoured on match day and will receive a donation towards their chosen charity or organisation to help the heroic work they do.
The person selected as the ‘local hero’ for the round will:
- Be invited to the game along with the person who nominated them and their families
- Be presented with a Newcastle Jets jersey at half time
- Have a one minute video shown at half time of who they are and why they were selected
- Have their corresponding Newcastle Jets ‘local hero’ attend their organisation or special event/s to build a mutual relationship
- Be publicised as the round’s ‘local hero’ through the Jets website, local media and social media channels
Everyone can be a hero in their own way. Nominate your local hero in the form below:
Click here to nominate someone doing great things in your community.
Terms and Conditions:
- The nominated individual must be over 18 years of age
- They must work either in a paid or volunteer capacity at a school, sporting club, charity or community based not-for-profit organisation
- The person who nominates a local hero must detail what heroic deeds they do and why they should be recognised
- Entrants may work or be located from the Mid North Coast to the Hunter Region and outlining areas
- Selections will be made in two rounds, with first round entries closing Wednesday 11 October. Our first seven successful nominees will be notified by Thursday 12 October, with second round nominees to be selected and notified in December.
- Nominees selected who accept to be recognised as a ‘local hero’, acknowledge that their image will be used in Newcastle Jets promotional material through this community campaign.