Jets committed to Youth

Coach Gary van Egmond said the Newcastle Jets remain committed to their young side despite falling outside the six.

After losing 3-2 to Melbourne Victory on Friday night, coach Gary van Egmond said the Newcastle Jets remain committed to their young side despite falling out of the top six for the first time this season.

He also maintained the Club won-t be active during the January transfer window.

"I'm very happy with what we have, we've got to keep on working with these younger players, because as you can see, they're getting better week in, week out now," van Egmond said.

"The likes of (James) Virgili 20, (Craig) Goodwin 21, (Connor) Chapman 18, (Sam) Gallaway 20, (Josh) Brillante 19, (Mark) Birighitti 21, (Jacob) Pepper 20, we're committed to the younger ones.

"What we need to do is keep working with them.

“It takes time for them to become a really good player, not from the technical aspect, but more from the game awareness side of things."

When asked specifically about James Virgili-s performance, who again provided an attacking spark up front, the coach said he was impressed with his development.

"I'm happy with James this year,” van Egmond added.

“From where he was last year to this year he's really come on, and again, he's by far not the finished product, but he's definitely moving in the right direction and we just have to keep working with him.

“Just like we have to keep working with all our younger players.

“The older players in the team like Emile (Heskey), Ryan (Griffiths) and Ruben (Zadkovich) have an important role with these young players, and they are doing that well.”

The team will stay in Melbourne until Tuesday-s Round 14 clash with the Heart.

The fitness of Scott Neville, who was a late withdrawal from Friday night-s game due to a tight hamstring, will be assessed.

The Jets travelled to Melbourne with a squad of 17, Neville and Bernardo Ribeiro in addition to the team defeated on Friday night.