Jets notch 3-0 win over Sydney Olympic

The Newcastle Jets defeated Sydney Olympic 3-0 in a pre-season trial match at Belmore Sports Ground on Tuesday night.

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets defeated Sydney Olympic 3-0 in a pre-season trial match at Belmore Sports Ground on Tuesday night.

First half goals from Nathan Burns and Emile Heskey, as well as a late strike from Michael Bridges secured a comfortable victory for the Hyundai A-League outfit.

New recruit Burns wasted no time making an impact in his first match in Newcastle Jets colours, opening the scoring after 13 minutes.

After receiving the ball on the edge of the area, Burns went on a mazy run into the box, before driving a powerful right-footed strike into the roof of the net from an acute angle.

The Jets almost doubled their lead three minutes later when Adam Taggart cut inside from the left flank and blazed a right-footed shot over the crossbar.

Jets skipper Ruben Zadkovich tried his luck when from 20 yards out a short time later, but his attempt at goal met the same fate as Taggart-s, sailing over the crossbar for a goal kick.

Zenon Caravella continued the Jets- long range assault on the Sydney Olympic goal, with his effort on 42 minutes the closet yet to finding the back of the net, only to drift millimetres over the crossbar.

While Newcastle were applying plenty of pressure in the attacking third, former Dutch international Kew Jaliens made sure the Jets were composed and compact at the back, allowing the Sydney Olympic forward line little room to operate.

The Jets were rewarded for their attacking endeavor in the 43rd minute, with Scott Neville bursting into the penalty area and driving a low cross across the face of goal to Heskey.

The former England international made no mistake from close range, tapping the ball into an empty net to give the Jets a 2-0 lead going into the half-time interval.

The Jets continued to threaten after the break, with half-time substitute Joey Gibbs latching on to a low cross from Zadkovich in the 52nd minute.

However, Gibbs- effort on goal was parried away by Sydney Olympic shot-stopper Paul Henderson.

James Virgili went even closer to extending the Jets- lead three minutes later, attempting to beat Henderson at his near post, only to strike his shot into the side-netting.

Virgili continued to threaten down the right flank, cutting the ball back to Bridges, who curved a first time shot just wide of the target.

A short time later, the pacey winger was involved again, squaring a ball to Taggart who was unable to get a shot off under pressure from the Olympic defence.

The Jets did eventually score their third goal of the match in the 83rd minute, with Bridges- fast feet allowing him to work his way into the box with a brilliant solo run.

Henderson saved the former Leeds United man-s initial shot at goal, but could do nothing about Bridges- follow-up attempt, with the Englishman sealing a 3-0 win for the Jets.

Newcastle Jets 3 (Burns 13-, Heskey 43-, Bridges 83-) Sydney Olympic 0