Jets secure 2-1 win over Phoenix

The Newcastle Jets secured a 2-1 win over Wellington Phoenix at Westpac Stadium on Wednesday night.

The Hunter Ports Newcastle Jets have secured their first win in Wellington since 2007, defeating the Phoenix 2-1 at Westpac Stadium on Wednesday night.

First half goals from Adam Taggart and Michael Bridges were enough to for the Jets to take all three points and consolidate their place in the A-League top six.

The Phoenix had the first opportunity of the match inside two minutes when a turnover from Taylor Regan enabled the home side to counter attack through Jeremy Brockie.

However, the Kiwi international could only blaze his shot high over the crossbar from just outside the penalty area.

The Jets began to settle into the game well after the early scare and had a golden opportunity to take the lead when Michael Bridges dummied a pass from Taylor Regan that put Emile Heskey into space.

Unfortunately, with just the keeper to beat, the former Liverpool striker pulled his shot goes inches wide of the goal.

The Jets didn-t have to wait too long to score the opening goal though, with Adam Taggart putting the visitors ahead in the 19th minute.

Josh Brillante played a low cross in from the right flank towards Taggart who had made a late run to the penalty spot.

The Young Socceroo made no mistake with his side-footed finish, easily stroking the ball past Glen Moss to put the Jets 1-0 up.

Some brilliant interplay from the Jets almost saw them score a second with Bridges and Heskey linking up once again.

However, a last ditch tackle from Sigmund prevented Heskey from pulling the trigger.

The Jets did eventually double their advantage right on the stroke of half-time, courtesy of Bridges.

Goodwin whipped in a pin-point free-kick from the right flank that Bridges met with a powerful diving header that gave Moss no chance and put the Jets 2-0 up at the break.

After a cagey opening to the second half, the Jets had the first sight of goal when Taggart laid the ball off to Zadkovich who drove a low shot from the top of the box that was easily saved by Moss.

The Phoenix managed to get a goal back in the 60th minute after an error at the back by the Jets.

Taylor Regan attempted to head the ball back to Jets goalkeeper Mark Birighitti, but did not get enough power behind his back pass and it was intercepted by Corey Gameiro.

Birighitti made a sharp reflex save to block Gameiro-s initial shot but the rebound found its way to Brockie who drilled a shot into the back of the net.

The Jets had an opportunity to restore their two goal advantage in the minute when a lovely backheel from Taggart left Goodwin with only the keeper to beat.

However, he could only hit his shot straight at Moss with Jets substitute Mitch Cooper doing likewise with his follow up effort.

Despite the Phoenix applying plenty of pressure late on in the match, the Jets were able to hold on to break their Westpac Stadium hoodoo and secure all three points.

Newcastle Jets 2 (Taggart 19-, Bridges 44-) Wellington Phoenix 1 (Brockie 60-) Crowd 4025 at Westpac Stadium

Newcastle Jets line-up: 3. Zenon Caravella (26. Andrew Hoole 39-), 5. Dominik Ritter, 8. Ruben Zadkovich (c), 9. Emile Heskey, 12. Josh Brillante, 13. Sam Gallaway (21. Marko Jesic 83-), 14. Taylor Regan, 15. Craig Goodwin, 19. Michael Bridges (25. Mitch Cooper 64-), 20. Mark Birighitti (gk), 22. Adam Taggart. Yellow cards: Caravella 9-, Heskey 53-, Birighitti 90-, Hoole 90-. Substitutes not used: 1. Ben Kennedy (gk).

Wellington Phoenix line-up: 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Tony Lochhead, 7. Leo Bertos, 8. Paul Ifill (10. Stein Huysegems 81-), 11. Jeremy Brockie, 16. Louis Fenton (12. Tyler Boyd 64-), 17. Vince Lia (21. Dani Sanchez 71-), 18. Ben Sigmund, 20. Glen Moss (gk), 22. Andrew Durante (c), 23. Corey Gameiro. Yellow cards: Brockie 24-, Ifill 43-, Gameiro 81-, Muscat 90-. Substitutes not used: 1. Mark Paston (gk).