Newcastle Jets boss Scott Miller took control of his first session with the club’s Hyundai A-League squad at Ray Watt Oval at the University of Newcastle on Monday.
Miller, along with Jets Senior Assistant Coach Jean-Paul de Marigny, ran the squad through a 75-minute session.
The session provided Miller with the opportunity to observe his players in the flesh for the first time – something he’s been itching to do since signing on the dotted line with the side from Hunter Stadium in June.
“It was a very encouraging session,” Miller said. “I was more inspired today than I have been in a number of years, because of the development that we can make with these players.”
“These young guys here, their attitude and application was phenomenal – I was blown away by it.”
“My feedback while I was back in London was superb. They [the players] had a challenging year last year and it would have been difficult for them, but I am impressed that they have returned to training in the way that they have.”
“The next two weeks are going to be quite intensive for these guys so we made that clear today.”
“The first two weeks were very much a preparation phase but today we really changed their mindset and the focus and the intensity went through the roof.”
Miller is acutely aware that he needs to add numbers to his current list of 14 contracted players, but said that he, his staff, and Jets management would not rush the recruitment phase.
Indeed, Miller stressed that new players must fit the ‘project’ he’s been put in charge of.
“It’s a challenge for us to get the right quality of people,” he said.
“We want to build a sustainable club.”
Miller also emphasised that the club’s Tuesday 11 August Westfield FFA Cup round of 32 clash with Perth Glory was a key fixture for the Jets.
“That Perth Glory fixture is of massive importance,” he said. “It’s a chance for the fans to see us for the first time and for me to get an understanding of the competitiveness within the squad.”