NYL: Late winner denies Jets Youth

A 9-man Newcastle Jets Youth team has gone down 2-1 to Brisbane Roar Youth on Friday evening, a 90th minute winner the difference between the two sides.

A gritty nine-man Newcastle Jets side has gone down 2-1 to Brisbane Roar in their National Youth League match at Adamstown Oval on Friday evening.

The Jets took the advantage in the 50th minute through a Jeremy Brockie individual effort before the Roar equalised five minutes later through substitute forward Matthew Thurtell.

But the tight contest was thrown into chaos midway through the second half when the Jets had two players sent-off in the space of 10 minutes.

Neil Young was superb in the Jets- goal, keeping his side in the match as the 11-men of Brisbane pushed forward for a winner. But it was all for not as Alister Quinn netted the winner for the visitors in the 90th minute.

The win moves Brisbane into equal fifth with Sydney FC with the rest of week 22 to play, while the Jets remain in seventh.

It was the home side who pressed earliest with Brockie and fellow forward Gavin Forbes giving the Roar defence plenty of headaches with some bullocking runs into the box.

Forbes headed over from a Jesse Pinto cross in the 10th minute while Brockie fired wide after being played in by Virgili.

Young then made a series of excellent reflex saves as the opening stanza drew to a close, denying Quinn, Joshua McVey and Kenneth Dougall on separate occasions.

The second half was a far more open affair, and it was the Jets who took advantage with a fine solo goal to Brockie. The Kiwi international took the ball just in his own half and went on a swerving run inside the box before placing the ball neatly past Acton for the opening goal.

But the lead would not last for long as Brisbane leveled matters just five minutes later when Bush slipped down the right wing before firing in a pin-point cross for Thurtell to head home.

With parity restored, drama unfolded at Adamstown Oval in the 64th minute when the Jets were reduced to 10-men after right-back Daniel Laiman received his second yellow card of the match.

A difficult task for Craig Deans- men then became nigh on impossible moments later when Pinto was shown a straight red card for a tackle on Ross Archibald.

The Jets never gave up, though, and Young pulled out a series of acrobatic saves, including a brilliant diving effort to deny Luke Brattan.

But Brisbane eventually broke down the stubborn Newcastle defence in the final seconds of regular time. Bush saw his shot parried away by Young but the ball fell to Quinn who slotted into the far corner to break the hearts of the Novocastrians.

Brockie had a late chance to equalise in injury time when he hit a vicious free-kick from 35 metres that Acton did well to parry around the post and ensure the Roar collected all three points.

Newcastle Jets: 1 (Brockie 50-)

Brisbane Roar: 2 (Thurtell 55-, Quinn 90-)