W-League draw with Sydney FC

The Jets W-League held a two goal lead for the majority of the match, however the game ended at a 3-3 draw.

The Newcastle Jets were off to a flying start against Sydney FC in the opening match of the Westfield W-League season. The Jets held a two goal lead for the majority of the match, however the home side struck back late in the match to share the points with a 3-3 draw.

Sydney dominated the opening ten minutes of the match with the Jets finally breaking through their opposition-s defence when Emily van Egmond sent a shot flying towards the goal before Angela Salem picked up the clearance and slotted through to Tara Andrews just in front of goal, however Andrews- shot went sailing over the crossbar.

Tiffany Boshers had the Jets- next real chance on goal, however her sliding short was well kept by Sydney keeper, Sian McLaren.

At the other end of the field, Jets keeper Eliza Campbell was forced into action as Sam Kerr rounded Hayley Crawford for a direct shot at Campbell which was well kept.

Just moments later, Campbell was drawn out of her goals by Sydney-s Alanna Kennedy whose shot was saved by Campbell-s outstretched leg before Hannah Brewer cleared the ball from the box.

The first goal of the match came from Egmond in the 17th minute when the Jets were granted a free kick from a foul on Alishia Foote. Van Egmond sent a smashing shot over Sydney-s wall as her waiting teammates watched it sail over McLaren-s reaching hands.

Just four minutes later, Jet Tori Huster took a shot which rebounded off Sydney-s Renee Rollason before Andrews picked up the rebound and lobbed the ball over the keeper into the back of the net to make the score 2-0.

Tiffany Boshers kept Sydney on their toes as she sent another shot towards their goal which was denied by McLaren.

Sydney claimed one back on 34 minutes as a corner kick reached the head of ex jet Kennedy before landing in the goal.

Sydney scrambled as they looked for another goal to gridlock the score before halftime, but an opportunity when begging in the 44th minute when the home side was denied an offside goal.

Just before halftime Tara Andrews was replaced by Kate Hensman who immediately made her presence known as she set up Huster with an opportunity before the shot went astray.

On the other side of halftime the chances continued as both sides looked to take a win in the first match of the season, and Kennedy looked positive to equalise the score but Jets Captain Hayley Crawford tackled well to halt Kennedy.

Gemma Pearce received a yellow card in the 51st minute, with the resulting Sydney free kick taken by Ellyse Perry from just outside the box. The shot was hit out by Campbell then cleared by the Jets defence.

At the other end of the field the Jets were awarded a free kick on 56 minutes as Gema Simon brought down 30m out with the chance taken by van Egmond but skimmed the ground and went straight to McLaren-s waiting hands.

In the 58th minute Hensman sprinted up the wing to round Sydney-s defence and draw McLaren from her goalmouth, crossing the ball to a waiting Huster to tap the ball into an open goal.

The Jets were back to two goals ahead, however continued shots from van Egmond and Foote weren-t enough to extend their lead.

Campbell continued to impress as she denied Sydney-s Chloe Logarzo a one on one opportunity, with Brewer again backing the keeper up to clear the ball from the goal area.

Bronte Bates came on for the Jets with 20 minutes remaining on the clock before a goalmouth scuffle had Sydney fans on the edge of their seats, with three attempts and the last to an open goal, but the shot was sent wide.

Sydney closed the gap behind Newcastle in the 75th minute when Perry took a free kick which was hit out by Campbell, however a waiting Kerr collected the rebound to send past Campbell.

Perry and Kerr paired up again two minutes later as Perry did the groundwork, taking the ball up the wing to cross to Kerr-s waiting head as Campbell had no chance of saving the shot.

Now back on even footing, the Jets and Sydney both looked for a winning goal and the Jets brought Stacey Day on which had a positive impact on the backline.

Further shots from Foote and Hensman in the closing minutes of the match were to no avail and the final goal scoring opportunity of the match looked a winner for Sydney as Kennedy came close, but Day cleared her resulting shot over the crossbar.

The Jets shared the points with Sydney in their opening match as they look to Round 2 for their first victory of the season.

Sydney FC 3 (Alanna Kennedy 35-, Sam Kerr 75-, 77-) Newcastle Jets 3 (Emily van Egmond 17-, Tara Andrews 21-, Tori Huster 58-) 3pm Sunday 21 October 2012 Leichhardt Oval, Sydney

Referee: Casey Reibelt

Sydney FC: 1. Sian McClaren (gk), 2. Teresa Polias (C), 4. Sam Kerr, 7. Nicola Bolger (11. Annalie Longo 78-), 9. Caitlin Foord, 10. Renee Rollason, 13. Larissa Crummer (3. Elizabeth Ralston 65-), 14. Alanna Kennedy, 15. Hannah Bromley, 16. Ellyse Perry, 19. Emma Kete (12. Chloe Logarzo 59-) Substitutes not used: Sham Khamis (gk) Yellow cards: nil Red cards: nil

Newcastle Jets: 1. Eliza Campbell (gk), 2. Hannah Brewer, 3. Hayley Crawford (C), 4. Gemma Pearce (16. Stacey Day 84-), 5. Tori Huster, 6. Angela Salem, 7. Gema Simon, 9. Tara Andrews (11. Kate Hensman 44-), 10. Emily van Egmond, 12. Tiffany Boshers (13. Bronte Bates 72), 15. Alisha Foote Substitutes not used: 20. Alannah Rosewood (GK) Yellow cards: Gemma Pearce 50- Red cards: nil