Ahead of Saturday's blockbuster, newcastlejets.com.au takes a look back at the Jets’ 10 biggest home attendances over the years.
With a big crowd expected at Hunter Stadium for Saturday-s blockbuster clash between the Newcastle Jets and Sydney FC, newcastlejets.com.au takes a look back at the Jets- 10 biggest home attendances over the years.
Games against Sydney FC have traditionally resulted in a big turnout in Newcastle, with three of the Jets- top 10 highest home crowds coming against the Sky Blues.
However, rarely have football fans in the Hunter region had the opportunity to witness two world-class players of the stature of Emile Heskey and Alessandro Del Piero together on the same pitch.
This special occasion is sure to rival any home game in the club-s history with a large number of Jets Members and supporters anticipated to stream though the gates at Hunter Stadium on Saturday.
Those planning to attend are encouraged to pre-purchase their tickets from PROticket to secure the best seats and avoid queues on the day.
Newcastle Jets- top 10 biggest home crowds:
10) 2012/13 Round 3 vs Central Coast Mariners - 15,289 In the first F3 Derby of the current season, Emile Heskey scored his first goal at home as the Jets secured a 2-1 win over their fierce local rivals.
9) 2007/08 Preliminary Final vs Queensland Roar - 16,021 In a do-or-die Preliminary Final clash the Jets defeated the Roar 3-2 in extra time, with Tarek Elrich scoring in the 111th minute to secure Newcastle-s passage through to the 2008 Grand Final.
8) 2008/09 Round 1 vs Central Coast Mariners - 16,022 In their opening game of the season after winning the A-League Championship the previous year, the Jets drew 1-1 in the F3 Derby, with Joel Griffiths- stoppage time penalty securing a point for the home side.
7) 2007/08 Round 21 vs Perth Glory - 16,212 Entering the last round of the season, the Jets were one of four teams level on 31 points at the top of the A-League ladder. With the Premiers Plate well and truly up for grabs, the Jets beat the Glory 2-1, but the Mariners were awarded the Premiership based on their superior goal difference.
6) 2007/08 Round 11 vs Sydney FC - 16,433 With only one loss in their last nine matches, the Jets were looking to continue an impressive run of form against the Sky Blues. However, current Jets striker Michael Bridges spoiled the party, netting the winner for Sydney FC in the 69th minute.
5) 2011/12 Round 9 vs Melbourne Victory - 17,245 Socceroos legend Harry Kewell and the Melbourne Victory came to Newcastle for the first and only time that season. Ryan Griffiths scored a brace as the Jets picked up a 3-1 win.
4) 2006/07 Round 21 vs Melbourne Victory - 19,601 In the last round of the regular season, the Jets leap-frogged Sydney FC into third place on the ladder with a 4-0 thrashing of the Premiers, Melbourne Victory. The result is still the biggest winning margin in Newcastle-s history.
3) 2006/07 Round 18 vs Sydney FC - 20,980 With only four matches remaining and a numbers of teams locked in a tight race to secure a spot in the top four, this match between the Jets and Sydney loomed as a crucial fixture. Unfortunately for the Jets, the Sky Blues came out on top, securing a 2-0 win.
2) 2007/08 Semi-Final vs Central Coast Mariners - 22,960 In the first leg of their semi-final playoff against the Mariners, the Jets secured a convincing 2-0 win courtesy of goals to Adam and Joel Griffiths. The Mariners overturned the deficit in second leg, but the Jets would have the last laugh winning the 2007/08 Grand Final 1-0 in front of 36,354 fans at the Sydney Football Stadium.
1) 2006/07 Semi-Final vs Sydney FC - 24,338 In front of what is still the biggest home crowd in the club-s history, the Jets bounced back from their 2-1 loss to Sydney in the first leg of their semi-final playoff with a 2-0 victory at home. Goals from Joel Griffiths and Vaughan Coveny saw the Jets progress to the Preliminary Final against Adelaide United.
Do you think this Saturday's blockbuster between the Newcastle Jets and Sydney FC will rank in the top 10 biggest attendances at Jets home games? Leave your answer in the comments section below.
Newcastle Jets v Sydney FC Saturday, December 22 Hunter Stadium Kick-off 5.30pm Tickets from PROticket
Limited parking will be available for purchase at the car park entrances on game days for the remainder of the Jets 2012/13 season. Whilst there will be parking available for purchase, Hunter Venues does encourage patrons to pre-purchase their parking tickets at a PROticket outlet or online at www.proticket.com.au as parking is subject to availability.